The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

What are you bringing to the potluck?

That was a popular question last week, as this past Sunday we had a potluck dinner at church after our morning service. After much debate, I decided on Beef and BeanTaco Casserole, 7-Layer Salad, and Zucchini-Spice Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting. I dedicated part of my Saturday to cooking and promised I would post the recipes and pictures on this week's blog. There wasn't a morsel left of any of them!

Part of my reason for making the Beef and Bean Taco Casserole was selfish: it is gluten-free, so by making it I was ensuring that there would be at least one main dish there that I could eat! The other reason is - it's easy and SO yummy! I make it often. The recipe is originally from Food.com.
Beef and Bean Taco Casserole

2 cups broken tortilla chips
1 lb. ground beef
chopped green onions (amount to taste)
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 15 oz. can refried beans
1 16 oz. jar salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped green pepper, optional
1/2 cup sliced black olives, optional
for topping - shredded lettuce, sour cream and additional tomatoes and tortilla chips

Heat oven to 350. Place broken chips in bottom of sprayed oblong baking dish. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onion, drain. Return to pan and stir in refried beans, taco seasoning, and salsa. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove and pour over the tortilla chips. Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes, cheese, and bell pepper and olives if using. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. When serving, top with lettuce, additional tomatoes, sour cream and additional chips.

The 7-layer salad is an old recipe which is usually brought to a potluck by someone! This time that someone was just me. You can vary the ingredients for this according to what your family likes and what you have on hand. It is pretty as well as tasty.
7-Layer Salad

1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
chopped green pepper
sliced carrots
chopped broccoli or cauliflower
10 oz. package frozen peas, thawed
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
several slices of crisp cooked bacon

dressing -  1 1/4 cups mayonnaise, 2 T sugar, 2 tsp. vinegar

Place lettuce in the bottom of a large clear glass bowl, and layer ingredients in order given, pressing down lightly between layers. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and spread over the top. Chill well.

I decided on the cupcakes because I had zucchini on hand, and cupcakes seemed like a good way to go. This recipe was recommended by my sister and is originally from Taste of Home. It was a good thing I kept a few out for my husband or he wouldn't have gotten any!
Zucchini-Spice Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting

3 eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla because I was out of almond!)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 cups shredded peeled zucchini

In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice, and extract. Combine dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture. Mix well. Fold in zucchini and mix well. Fill paper-lined cupcake pans 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes or until test done. Cool on wire rack before frosting.

Caramel Frosting
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 stick margarine or butter
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar

Combine brown sugar, butter, and milk in saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove and stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until frosting is spreading consistency. If it is too runny, place in refrigerator for a few minutes. Frost cupcakes. Makes 1 1/2 to 2 dozen.

As a bonus recipe, I am going to share my recipe for Lemonade Pie. I have had this recipe for a long time and had forgotten about it. I found it when looking for another recipe, and it is such an easy and refreshing dessert for summer!

Lemonade Pie

1 graham cracker crust
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 small can (or half a large can) of frozen lemonade
1 tub Cool Whip

Let lemonade soften, but not thaw completely. Mix with condensed milk. Fold in cool whip. pour into crust, and freeze for several hours. That's it!

I hope you will be inspired to try one or more of these! Happy cooking! Speaking of being inspired, look for a post in the next couple days about mothering.

Kathi






No comments:

Post a Comment