The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Peek Inside My January Window

Brrr! Winter has definitely come to our part of the country! With temperatures outside in the 20's or below, I have been staying inside and getting a lot of housework and catching up on projects done. This week I thought I would give you a little glimpse into what I have been up to. As usual at the end I have given you a little something to reflect on.

Where I Went
Last Wednesday my husband and I were privileged to attend the Virginia State Assembly Prayer Breakfast in Richmond. It was a last-minute opportunity, and we had to be in Richmond at 6:30 in the morning! (That translates into a 4:30 a.m. wake-up time, and I wondered at the time if it would be worth it - but it was!) There were over 1400 people in attendance, including most of the senators, representatives, the Governor who spoke briefly, and many pastors, members of our military, and local leaders. It was a blessing to hear a message by Dr. Ravi Zacharias, the key note speaker. After the breakfast we spent some time in the Virginia State Assembly Building visiting with senators and delegates and assuring them of our prayers, followed by a tour of the Virginia State Capitol, which is a magnificent and historical building. We were grateful for the opportunity to find out more about our state government as well as to meet and prayerfully support many of our officials. It was a great day!

What I Made
This is soup weather! I have a recipe that I found on Pinterest for a delicious loaded baked potato soup, and it is so easy and so good I just had to share it with you. The quantities given here are for only 2 people, so adjust as necessary, but it is the easiest baked potato soup recipe ever!

 Loaded Baked Potato Soup (for 2)

2-3 medium baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled
1 can (15 oz.) chicken broth
2-3 T. sour cream
pepper to taste
instant potato flakes (optional)
bacon bits or 2 cooked crumbled bacon slices
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced green onions or chives

You can bake your potatoes in the microwave, but they have more flavor if you have time to bake them in the oven. You can also use leftover baked potatoes, so some night if you are having baked potatoes for dinner, just bake a couple extra!

Cube up the baked potatoes. Put half in the blender or food processor with the chicken broth, and process into a smooth puree. Pour into saucepan. Stir in the sour cream, pepper, and remaining potato cubes. Heat until hot. At this point you can thicken if desired with some instant potato flakes.
Serve topped with the crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and chives/onions. Add a salad and some bread, and lunch or dinner is ready!

What I Loved
There's nothing better than getting a phone call from one of our children telling us that they are coming for a visit! This past weekend was a 3 day weekend with a Monday holiday from school due to Martin Luther King day, and our oldest son was able to re-arrange some of his responsibilities and come with his wife and the grandkids for the weekend. Saturday was a beautiful 60 degree day and we played outside and enjoyed a BBQ meal of pulled pork from the smoker! Sunday morning it snowed all morning! We had to cancel evening church, and we got to spend the rest of the day as a family by the fireplace playing games, snacking, watching some football and a children's movie, and capping off our day with a family Bible time. God is so good! These are some of my favorite pictures from our special weekend.

What Spoke to My Heart 
When I teach a weekly Teen Girls Sunday School class and a twice-weekly Ladies Bible Study class, I learn more than any of my students. God uses the things I study and learn to speak to my heart. In my teen girls class, we have been studying the topic of Our Identity in Christ. When you are asked the question "Who are you?" we have many answers: wife, mother, daughter, grandmother, friend, writer, runner, teacher, singer, etc. We play many roles in life, but none of them accurately describe who we really are. We need our identity to be in Christ. It is what grounds us and guards us from seeking our identity in other places and people. If we find our true security in Christ, then no matter what happens we will not be shaken.

Eph. 1:6 - "To the praise of His glory and grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved."

Accepted. The world capitalizes on this and advertises everything from shampoo to clothing to fitness equipment to cars to make us into what everyone else wants us to be. Just look at some advertising and see how many times you see the phrase "The Must-Have ----" of the season.

I have been struck by the fact that it is not just teen girls who long to be accepted, and will look to their friends, their looks, talent, or their academic or athletic success to gain acceptance. If we realize that we are loved by God no matter what, that He has not only forgiven us but bought us and adopted us as His own, blesses us, and lavishes His grace upon us daily, then we will be secure in Him.

Till next time,
Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment