The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Saturday, April 11, 2015

An Anchor in the Storms

I had to take a necessary break from blogging because the past two weeks have been an eventful blur. I feel as if I stepped out the door into a storm which is just now subsiding. On Tuesday, March 31, my husband's mom passed into the presence of her Savior. It was expected, but it was unexpected. Many of you who have lost loved ones know what I mean. Her health was rapidly declining, as I mentioned in my last post, but the end came much faster and much more suddenly than we thought it would. In the midst of it all, God was good. Mom's suffering was not prolonged nor did she become bedridden. Our daughter and her family were already here, and not only were they able to make the trip with us to Pennsylvania for the funeral, but they were such a help and comfort to us at the time of mom's death. Both of our sons and their families, including the one from Florida, were also able to be there and for one day (the day of the funeral) we had all of our children and grandchildren together - for the first time in nearly three years.

My husband and I have been going through a season of storms. 1 Peter 1:6 talks about being in "heaviness through manifold temptations", or various trials, for "a season." Seasons of storms are a part of life. Sometimes you can see the storm coming. Sometimes it comes at a moment's notice. And most of the time, we can't avoid them.

The Bible tells us about a lot of storms. I have been meditating on the storm in Mark 6 and would just like to share a few of my thoughts:

1. The Lord prepared the storm (vs. 45). He was the one who told them to get in the boat, He sent the storm, and He saw them struggling in the storm (vs. 48). Storms never catch God by surprise.

2. The Lord had prepared the disciples for the storm. In chapter 4, there was another storm, and Jesus had taught them that He would deliver them. They were prepared by what they had already learned. I would not know what I know about God if it weren't for the storms.

3. There was much struggling in the midst of the storm (vs. 48). The disciples were toiling - working hard to keep their heads above water. Ever feel like that? The winds were "contrary" - against them and very difficult to work in. They were working hard to get to the other side but were still stuck in the middle. Their natural response was fear. Our emotions can serve as a warning to us that we are letting them rule instead of remembering what we need to remember -

4. Jesus is our anchor in the storm. Jesus was the One who came to them and spoke to them and calmed their fears. I love verse 50 - "For they all saw Him, and were troubled. And immediately He talked with them and saith unto them, Be of good cheer, It is I, Be not afraid!"

In the storms, Jesus wants to talk to us and calm us. He wants to remind us of truth. I find it helpful to "talk to myself" by asking these questions:
Does God love me? (yes)
Does God know about what is happening? (yes)
Is God in control? (this answer can take a bit of faith, but the answer is yes)
Will God do what is right? (yes)

These are the calming words Jesus brings. He is our anchor in the storms. I trust the next time you find yourself in a storm, you will be helped by these truths.

Blessings,
Kathi


No comments:

Post a Comment