The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Mountains and apples

Good morning! I hope you are enjoying all the wonderful things that fall has to offer. Thanks to the kindness of some special people, we were blessed to be able to go away last week for a long weekend in the North Carolina mountains. After many years of spending all of our vacation time taking kids to college, visiting our kids when we lived a long distance away from them, and then helping with new babies, moves, and various things, we have not had any time to go anywhere special alone in a very long time. Now don't get me wrong, we LOVE our kids and our grandkids, and we are extremely grateful for every single opportunity God has given us to see them and help them. But I must say that a few days away from the busyness and demands of the ministry, just the two of us, was exactly what we needed. We spent time driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping wherever we wanted, and enjoying the gorgeous mountain scenery. We hiked and picnicked and browsed in shops and talked. And were reminded all over again of how happy we are that God brought us together and has given us 39 years together!
   
When I'm thinking about fall, one of the special treats that I look forward to every year is fresh-picked apples! We don't have apple orchards here in our area, and I miss that. But a few weeks ago I was able to pick some Golden Delicious apples with my daughter and little granddaughters while visiting them. It is always such fun to get out in the orchard and fill your bag with apples right off the tree. I think one of my granddaughters would have eaten them as fast as we picked them, if we had let her!
I have a lot of yummy apple recipes, but today I thought I would share with you one of my breakfast favorites - Baked Oatmeal with apples. I have made this recipe for many years and given it out many times. I could seriously eat all of it myself (not at one sitting!) It is so easy, delicious, and makes the house smell wonderful. When my youngest son was still at home, I could guarantee he would be up in time for school if I made baked oatmeal!

Baked Oatmeal with apples
3 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. oil
1 scant cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quick or regular oats (not instant! I use quick oats, but you can use either or half of each)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon

Place sliced apples in bottom of a sprayed 9x13 pan (you can make this without the apples, by the way, but they add a lot to it.)
Stir together remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour over the apples. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
This picture is half the recipe, which is what I usually make now that there are just the 2 of us at home. It is made in a square baking pan.
Just want to leave you with a verse: "Bless the Lord, O my soul and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits." Psalm 103:1-2

Joyfully,
Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment