The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Thursday, August 7, 2014

From my Kitchen: Frozen Summer Pies

Good morning! First of all, for those of you who may be following my blog but do not know me personally, I want to share with you the results of the CT scans I had last week. God answered prayer in a wonderful way! They were able to start my IV on the first try (a BIG answer to prayer for me!), I did not have any allergic reaction to the dye, and greatest of all, NO mass was found on my kidney! They explained that sometimes what shows up on an ultrasound as a mass is, upon further examination with the much clearer CT scan, actually nothing - and that was the case! So I am praising the Lord! Now that I have a clean bill of health on my liver and my kidney, I wait and see what my next move is based on my doctor appointment in a couple of weeks.

On a much lighter note, now that we are into August and the days are hot and humid (although they are that way ALL summer here in Virginia!), I thought I would share with you recipes for two of my very favorite summer desserts: frozen pies. They are refreshing and delicious, and as easy as can be!

The first recipe is for Frosty Mocha pie, and the photo above is actually from Taste of Home, which is where this recipe originated, because I neglected to get a picture of mine. It is soooo good, as long as you like mocha! It is also light, especially if you use light cream cheese and Cool Whip.

Frosty Mocha Pie
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/3 cup milk
1 T instant coffee granules
1 tsp vanilla
1 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip, thawed
1 chocolate cookie or graham cracker pie crust

Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa with electric mixer until smooth. Warm the milk slightly in the microwave and dissolve the coffee granules. Stir coffee mixture and vanilla into cream cheese mixture. Fold in the Cool Whip until completely mixed in - color is even. Pour into crust, cover, and freeze at least 4 hours. Allow to soften a couple minutes before cutting and serving. Drizzle slices with chocolate syrup before serving.

The other recipe I am almost embarrassed to share because there is nothing to it! But it has been a favorite with my family for years! My husband does not like yogurt, but he likes this pie.
Frozen Yogurt Pie
3 6 oz. containers of fruit-flavored yogurt, such as Yoplait, all the same flavor (I like raspberry and   strawberry the best)
1 8 oz. tub of cool whip, thawed
1 graham cracker pie crust

Simply put the yogurt into a bowl, fold in the Cool Whip until completely mixed and color is even, pour into crust, cover, and freeze! Very refreshing on a hot summer evening! And very weight-watcher friendly!

Both of these pies keep well in the freezer for a couple weeks, so if you only need a couple slices, no problem! I hope you enjoy them.

Til next time,
Kathi



No comments:

Post a Comment