The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Friday, July 18, 2014

In my Kitchen: Muffin Mania

I have really been enjoying the cooler and less humid weather the past couple of days. It put me in a baking mood, so I enjoyed baking up a couple of batches of muffins for the freezer. I always keep all my muffins in zip-lock bags in my freezer, and I can just take out as many as I need and put them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and...voila! Warm, homemade muffins. It is always great for trips and for unexpected company to have a supply in the freezer.

The first recipe is for Banana-Oatmeal muffins. This is a recipe I got from my sister-in-law who is a fantastic cook, and also is a missionary in the south pacific so she knows her banana recipes!


Banana-Oatmeal Muffins
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (about 3 medium) mashed bananas
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 T. milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional

In large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the flour and the sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt. Add mashed banana, shortening and margarine or butter, and milk. Beat with mixer until well-blended. Add eggs, oats, and remaining flour, beat until blended. Stir in nuts. You can also stir in some chocolate chips if you like! Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan and then on racks.

The other recipe is one of my favorites: Cappuccino Muffins. They are YUMMY if you like coffee! This recipe is originally from Taste of Home.


Cappuccino Muffins
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup milk
2 T. instant coffee granules (note: I dislike instant coffee, but I keep a small jar on hand for baking!)
1 stick margarine or butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (Mini work best but you can use regular and it will be just fine!)

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. Warm milk in the microwave for about a minute in a large glass measuring cup or bowl. Stir in coffee granules until dissolved. Add melted margarine or butter, beaten egg and vanilla to coffee/milk mixture and blend well. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased muffin cups and bake at 375 for 17-19 minutes. Cool on racks. Taste best warmed!

Hope you enjoyed this time in my kitchen!
Kathi




No comments:

Post a Comment