The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Our Default Pattern

This overcast January morning has been spent doing my very favorite things that I love to do on Saturday mornings when my husband is working: Being home, putting some yummy things in the oven, listening to uplifting Christian music, and writing either in my journal or as in this morning's case, a Bible study lesson and this blog post.

As I brought up my computer program and began to write and edit my lesson this morning, I was keenly aware of something: I want to default to the computer program I am used to.

At home we have had Apple products for years and I have been accustomed to using Pages and other computer programs that are part of the Apple world. But at work, I spend 40 hours a week in an office that uses only PCs and Microsoft Office programs. I had been used to using Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, and Publisher in my previous jobs, but prior to returning to work last year I had been home for several years. I had gotten so used to my MacIntosh computer and programs that it took me some time (and quite a bit of re-learning) to get used to using Microsoft at the office again. And now when I use my computer at home, I want to default to what I am used to using all week. It's amazing how hard it is!

As I was pondering this, I realized that we all have default patterns in our lives. They are traits and habits that we are comfortable with and naturally return to again and again. They are our natural bent. And whether they be good or bad, they are what we become comfortable with.

Sometime around October or November, I felt the need to depart from what I had been doing in my daily Bible reading and re-study the subject of gratitude. I realized that I had developed a "default pattern" or a natural bent of reacting with negative thoughts which lead to discouragement and fear, rather than giving thanks because I know that my circumstances are God's will for me right now, whether I understand them or not. When I respond to my circumstances with an attitude of trust and giving thanks to God for His presence with me and His plan being perfect, then that puts me in the position of knowing joy and peace.

My Bible reading the past couple weeks brought me to Psalm 79, which I have read many times before. But the last verse seemed to jump off the page to me, because my current Bible reading program is a chronological one. This time I was able to read Psalm 79 in light of the setting in which it was written.

Psalm 79:13: "But we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise."  That doesn't sound so remarkable until you consider that this whole Psalm is filled with the anguish of God's people about the complete destruction of their temple, and their prayer for deliverance from the enemy who had done this devastation. For the background, read 2 Chronicles 36:19-21 and 2 Kings 25:8-15.

This last verse reveals an abrupt change in attitude. It is a departure from their default pattern of despair to a determination to continue to give God the praise and to be thankful! And not only that, but to continue to teach and set the example for their children and grandchildren - in spite of their problems.

What is your default pattern - the attitude or habit that seems to come naturally for you, that threatens to destroy your peace and joy? Determine that with God's help, you will attempt to change what is your default pattern into that which is right. Only then can we know God's peace and impact others with a joyful, positive spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment