The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pressing Forward While Looking Back

As I am writing this, it is early morning and the last day of November. I am playing some soft Christmas music in the background. The days immediately following Thanksgiving but before December begins have always seemed a little awkward to me. Any trip to the mall or store leaves no doubt that Christmas is in full swing, but at home the fall decor of pumpkins, leaves and harvest arrangements are mixed in with Christmas decorations, and cookie baking and Christmas entertaining menu planning take over the kitchen while we still have leftover turkey and pumpkin pie in the refrigerator. Not this year, though!

This year the in-between-holiday season is even more unusual for me, because while others spent their post-Thanksgiving week Black Friday shopping, decorating for Christmas, putting up their tree, and occupied with the usual Christmas traditions, I spent mine organizing and packing boxes and getting ready for (another) move, which is only a week away. We had never planned to be moving at Christmas, but the Lord's timing is perfect, and we are more than ready!

In the same way we are in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I have been thinking about pressing forward while looking back. I am really looking forward to getting settled in a new home, being able to be close to and involved in a local church again, and the potential of new friends and new opportunities.  I am ready to put a lot of things behind me. Sadness. Uncertainty that comes from not knowing how long we will be here. Living out of boxes since August. My husband's expensive and time-consuming daily commute to his job. And painful memories that come with living only 2 miles from church. 

At the same time, there are many things I don't want to ever forget from this time. At Thanksgiving we have a tradition in our family that following our Thanksgiving dinner we have a family worship time. During that time, we all give testimony of what we are most thankful for. Normally I have talked about things like our family, my husband, ministry, my salvation, and things like that. And there is nothing wrong with being grateful to God for those things. But this year, I realized that I was most grateful for God Himself, and for all He has shown Himself to be the past few months. The deeper knowledge of Him in a personal way. The lessons He has taught me. His presence, His grace, His provision for us. The sweeter times of fellowship with Him. The precious times of prayer. The times He has given us encouragement just when we needed it the most. I don't want to ever forget those things.

The obvious Scripture verse that comes to mind is Phil. 3:13b - "forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which lie ahead." As I meditated on and studied this verse, the word "forgetting" is interesting, because it doesn't mean to forget in the same way that we forget to do something or where we put something. It doesn't mean to completely put it out of our mind. It has the idea of not focusing upon our past, but using it as a positive building foundation for the future. I loved that, because it exactly describes what I am talking about - not completely forgetting but remembering and applying the things God has taught us in a positive way to impact our future.

Another lesser known verse that talks about this same principle is Luke 9:62 - "Jesus said, No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God." The word "fit" here means "effective." I don't know much about farming or plowing, but I can understand that if you are constantly looking back at where you have been that you won't be able to plow a straight path! If we are constantly looking back at the past, we won't be very effective at what God has for us in the future. So this is my prayer and my goal - to be able to discern what lessons from the past few months I have learned that I can use to help me embrace the future God has for us and to serve Him.

My posts the next few weeks may not be as frequent or as regular because of moving, getting unpacked and settled, having or not having internet connections, and yes - Christmas. I do plan, Lord willing, to continue writing and am looking forward to the next chapter! Thank you for following.

Love,
Kathi


No comments:

Post a Comment