The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Abundant Praise

Psalm 103:1-2: "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits." These verses have been going around and around in my head this week.

This is Easter week! Just reflecting on that alone gives us reason to praise the Lord. It was His great love for us which motivated Him to give us who are so undeserving a Savior, His Son Jesus Christ, who died on the cross for our sins. But Jesus arose, and He lives forever more! Without that, we would still be separated from God and would have no hope.

There are so many other reasons to give praise to our God! This morning I was truly "counting my blessings." The beauty of spring is everywhere here with trees and flowers blossoming. I got a good report from my doctor. Even the everyday things that we take for granted are blessings for which to thank the Lord. As I was making the bed this morning, I thanked him for a warm, comfortable bed. As I stepped into the shower, I thanked Him for hot water and nice-smelling shower gel. When I washed dishes, I thanked Him for plenty of food to eat. When we don't have praise in our hearts, we begin to focus on what we don't have that we want, and that discontent is the first seed sown in our heart that turns into disappointment, anger, and eventually, bitterness.

These thoughts have been on my mind since returning home from attending a Ladies Prayer Advance last week. It is called an "advance" instead of a retreat because we advance in our relationship with God as a result. I confess that I was not super excited about attending. The timing was such that I had just gotten home from a weekend speaking engagement and a week away, and I did not feel like getting out my suitcase again and taking off on another trip, especially without my husband. As usual, though, God's timing is perfect. He is so faithful to minister to my heart just when I need it the most. It was such a blessing to be there singing with 460 other women, sharing burdens and joining together in prayer, and sitting under the teaching of some wonderful speakers. We heard 9 messages and I filled a whole tablet with notes. A few of my favorite quotes are as follows:

  • Worry is assuming God's responsibility.
  • God doesn't love you because of who you are, but because of who He is.
  • When you are committed, you are the one in charge. When you are surrendered, God is.
  • My ministry is not based on my ability, but on God's grace. 
  • It's not in trying, but in trusting. It's not in running but in resting. It's not in worrying but in praying.
  • Putting bars up doesn't keep people out of your life, it builds a prison which keeps you in.
  • Always use what you know to navigate through the unknown.
Lest you get the wrong idea about my praising the Lord, I want to assure you that my life is not a bed of roses. There are trials and unknowns and hurts in my life right now. However, it is during these times when I most need to make the decision to choose to praise the Lord. Praise helps us to focus our attention and thoughts on the blessings. It changes our focus from the problems to the character of God. Gratitude is a discipline and needs to be a lifestyle.

What is your mindset this week? Are you consumed with thoughts about the problems, negatives, and uncertainties in your life? Do you remember what the key word I chose for 2016 is? Perspective. Perspective is the ability to see the relevant information through eternal eyes of faith. We are constrained by what we can see and understand, which is very limited. I am asking God to help me remember there is much more going on than what I can see. He is in charge. And He has given me so much to praise Him for! 

Gratefully,
Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment