The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

1 Cor. 13 for Christmas

Wow, December is moving quickly - as it always does. I mentioned in my last post that I would tell you about our Ladies Creating Christmas event that we had at church this last Saturday. This was something new for us this year - in fact, I dreamed up the idea and because of that and since it was so different from what we normally do (a sit-down meal with themed decorations and a speaker), I was not sure how it would go. I am happy to report that it was a great success!

Creating Christmas was a hands-on, informal, fun afternoon of learning and making crafts and decorations while enjoying refreshments, fellowship, and a devotional. We had four craft stations, and made some really nice things: sock snowmen, curled paper-filled glass ornaments, a lovely nativity scene Christmas card, and scented foaming hand soap. We also had a cookie exchange and a take-home sheet with ideas for decorating and quick gifts, and recipes for gifts from your kitchen.  All of us had so much fun and I am already getting requests to do it again next year.

The idea behind Creating Christmas is to be able to gather ideas that we as wives, moms, and grandmas can use in celebrating Christmas with our families - the coming of Jesus as a baby into this world for the purpose of dying for our sins. As Christians, we should celebrate, because without the birth of Jesus, we would have no hope! I love the example of Mary, the mother of Jesus, in Luke 2:19. We are told that "Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." That has the idea that she treasured the events and memories surrounding the birth of her Son. We should do the same. When we celebrate with gifts, baking, and decorations, we are showing that we treasure the birth of Christ.

That being said, we have to be careful to keep a balance. We are not really celebrating the birth of Jesus if our celebrations and busyness mean other things in our lives are out of place. Consider this reading of 1st Corinthians 13, the love chapter, in the context of Christmas. I have had this in my files for many years, so I am sorry that I do not know who the author is.

"If I decorate my house perfectly with bows, strands of shiny balls and twinkling lights,
but do not show love to my family,
I am just another decorator.

If I slave away in the kitchen, baking dozens of Christmas cookies,
preparing gourmet meals, and arranging a beautifully adorned table,
but do not show love to others,
I am just another cook.

If I volunteer in the soup kitchen or sing carols at the nursing home, and give extra to charity,
but do not have love for my Lord,
it profits me nothing.

If I trim the tree with shimmering angels and hand-made snowflakes,
and attend a myriad of Christmas events and sing in the church choir,
but do not focus on Christ, I have missed the point.

Love stops baking to hug the child, sets aside the decorating to kiss one's spouse.
Love is kind, although tired and hurried.
Love doesn't envy another's house that has more decorations and coordinated china and linens.

Love doesn't yell at the kids to get out of the way,
but is thankful that they are there to be in the way.
Love doesn't give to only those who can give in return,
but rejoices in giving to those who cannot.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.

Toys will break, necklaces will be lost, golf clubs will rust.
But the gift of love remains forever.
Faith, hope, and love abide, these three,
But the greatest of these is love."

Wishing you a balanced celebration of Christmas,
Kathi




No comments:

Post a Comment