The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Life's Rainy Days

Rainy days. Yes, today is the third solid rainy day in a row. These days are good for cleaning projects, lighting scented candles, baking cookies, and reading but not for much else. The walks and the yard work and the enjoying the flowers on the patio with my morning coffee all have to be put off. I find myself anxiously looking forward to when the sun will come pouring through the windows once again. And since the name of my blog is "The Light in My Window," meaning not only the window to our home but the window into what is happening in my life, it is very fitting that the rainy days outside mirror what is going on in my life these days. Because some days it seems there is very little light coming in my window. And I welcome seeing the sun shine once again.

I recently came across something that has been a huge help to me and I would like to share it with you. It is a quote by John Newton, who is best known as the writer of the hymns "Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken" and "Amazing Grace." Here it is:

"I compare the troubles which we have to undergo in the course of the year to a great bundle of sticks far too large for us to lift. But God does not require us to carry the whole bundle at once. He mercifully unties the bundle, and gives us first just one stick which we are to carry today, and then another one which we are to carry tomorrow. We can easily manage our troubles if we would only carry the trouble appointed for each day. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday's burden today, and then add the burdens of tomorrow."

There is much truth in those statements. I am reminded of Matt. 6:34 where Jesus tells us, "Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

But the thing that I have been struggling with lately is that not only do I have a bundle of sticks of my own to carry, but being the wife of a pastor means we have a second bundle of sticks that represent the troubles of the dear ones God has entrusted to us in our congregation. Even after all these years in the ministry it never ceases to amaze me what some people's perceptions are when it comes to what their pastor does. I actually had someone tell me one time that they thought all a pastor did was sit in his office and read his Bible all day long! (Just typing that still makes me laugh!) A lot of people think a pastor comes and goes as he pleases and delivers messages on Sundays and Wednesday nights. And maybe visits sick people in the hospital. People do not see the many (many) sleepless nights, the tears shed, the missed meals, the agonizing decisions, the phone calls at all hours, the hours spent in prayer, the changed plans. My husband is not only a preacher, but he is a pastor, and that means he has a pastor's heart. And as his wife, what he goes through, so do I.

But back to those sticks. The fact remains that even though we may have more bundles of sticks than our share to carry, God still handles it the same way. He gives us exactly what we can carry one day at a time. We can trust Him to know what is best. And to help us carry the sticks He hands us, He also gives us the encouragement of the Holy Spirit and His Word. On these rainy days, both literal and figurative, I have found some special verses this week:

1 Timothy 1:12 - "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has enabled me, for He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry." We didn't put ourselves into the ministry - God did. And it is He who enables us.

Hebrews 6:10 - "For God is not unjust to forget your work and labour of love which ye have showed in His name, that ye have ministered to the saints and do minister." God is aware of all of it.

and lastly, Hebrews 12:2-3 (I have been reading through Hebrews) - "Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him that endured such contradictions of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds." Yes, we have been weary and faint in our minds. But if we keep our focus on Jesus, who went through so much for us and is the whole reason we minister, we shall keep going.

If you have read this far, thank you for sticking with me. I know this post sounds a little sober. But I hope that the quote or the Scripture verses or the thoughts are a help and encouragement to you on your rainy days. And I am looking forward to an abundance of sunshine - soon!

Lovingly,
Kathi


No comments:

Post a Comment