The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Thursday, May 11, 2017

The Roses and the Thorns

This week marks 7 weeks since I began working full-time. Along with that, somehow it seems like time is passing even more quickly than it used to. Am I the only one wondering how it is possible that it is already May and that this Sunday is Mother's Day?

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to visit the Botanical Gardens with a group of ladies from church. The day's cold and cloudy weather was not lovely, but the flowers were, especially the large variety of gorgeous orchids blooming in the conservatory.

After enjoying a considerable amount of time in the conservatory, I became separated from my group so I spent a few minutes wandering alone in the rose gardens, which were beautiful. I observed how exquisitely each petal was formed, and the endless varieties and shades of beautiful colors. I marveled at our great Creator who designed such beauty and perfection. I asked myself how I could ever think that a God powerful enough to create something so intricate and beautiful could not take care of me?


But at the same time I was admiring the roses, I touched one to bring it up close to take a picture and instantly the thorns pricked my fingers. And my attention immediately turned from the beauty of the rose to the pain. As I thought about this later, I couldn't miss the significance. The beauty was still there, unchanged, but my focus had shifted to the thorns. The Lord made me realize that so often I do the very same thing. There may be blessings all around me, but I am stuck in the thorns.

In Numbers 11:5 we read how the children of Israel looked back and cried over the things they used to have in Egypt and now missed. "We remember the fish we ate in Egypt freely, the cucumbers, the melons, the leeks, the onions and the garlic." But in verse 6, they continued on:"But now our soul is dried away and there is nothing at all except this manna!" They were so immersed in the past that they completely missed what God was doing for them in the present.

We tend to be critical of the Israelites for reacting in such a way, after all God has done for them. But if I am honest, I can so relate to this. Often lately I am feeling sad over what I used to have that I no longer do. Little things, like a yard to enjoy this time of year. My nice top of the line kitchen appliances, because I love to cook and bake. The spaciousness of my house. And bigger things - time with my husband. Free time to do the things I love, like blog and scrapbook and bake. And especially the time and opportunity to visit and attend all the special events of our grandchildren. These are my thorns.

But what about the roses? We may not have a yard, but we don't have to be concerned with mowing and keeping it up either. My appliances are not deluxe or have the features I want, but they are new. Our apartment may be small, but we have a home (which doesn't take much time to clean!) I don't have much free time anymore, but I have a job. And while I miss time with my husband, I still HAVE a husband, as well as beautiful, healthy grandchildren.

I am reminded of my theme for this year - contentment. I recently read that"Comparison kills contentment." And it's true. That includes comparison of the past and the present. We sometimes need to remind ourselves to shift our focus from the thorns to the roses. That will go a long way in helping us learn to be content. God is faithful and pours His blessings out on us over and over again. We just need to see them.

Til next time,
Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment