The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Friday, March 31, 2017

The Path I Take

"Oh, how abundant is thy goodness which thou hast stored up for those who fear thee, which thou has wrought for those who trust in thee, in the sight of the sons of men!" Psalm 31:19

It seems like a long time since I have been at the blog, but in reality it's been about the same amount of time as usual. A lot has been packed into this week. As I begin a new chapter in my life of working full-time, my blog posts might become a little less frequent or a little shorter, but it is still my intention and desire to continue writing this blog on a regular basis. I now have completed my first week at my new job! Actually, yesterday was my first full day of being in the office the entire day because I had to complete 2 1/2 days of extensive new employee orientation classes. Because I work for a government entity, there was required training in things like ethics, security, conflicts of interest, and protocol, in addition to the usual employee training in responsibilities, policies, and procedures. It has only been a few days, but I am already very much enjoying my job! The environment is very pleasant, my co-workers are really nice and friendly, and the work of talking with and assisting various customers is enjoyable and challenging without being stressful. It's fun to dress up for work every day, to be learning new things, and to be meeting new people. I'm so thankful for the grace of the Lord in His provision of this new job for me!

Something that has become so very evident to me in the past week is that the Lord definitely has had His hand on me and our circumstances the past few months. Of course, we already knew that. But sometimes it is just a special encouragement to be able to SEE it! My job that I had for the short time before we sold our house and moved from Williamsburg was the perfect preparation for the job I have now. At the time, I wondered why I got that particular part-time job, especially when I ended up being there for such a short time. The Lord knew what He was doing - He had a plan! He knew I needed the experience of working in a local government setting, as well as the letter of recommendation I received, because both were instrumental in me being hired for my present job. Not only that, but I learned some procedures as well as some vocabulary and acronyms that I am using now - and I never would have known without having worked at that job. I work for the planning division of the 4th largest county in Virginia and deal with plans every day, but I couldn't have planned that if I tried.


God is always faithful to direct our path. When I think back a few months to when we were in complete upheaval, and all that has taken place since then, I can only praise Him for the way He has led us. In the course of daily life we find ourselves often having to change paths, or choose the path that we will take. There are many Scripture verses that talk about those paths. Probably the one we think of the most is Proverbs 3:6, "In all they ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." That's a promise that we can depend on. It is comforting to know that as our Shepherd in Psalm 23, He will also lead us in the paths of righteousness.

As I think about these things, another verse of Scripture comes to mind. Psalm 16:11 says, "Thou will show me the path of life, in Thy presence is fulness of joy, at Thy right hand are pleasures forevermore." That verse reminds me that although the Lord is faithful to lead us in the right path if we pray and sincerely seek His will, that the real place of peace and joy is in His presence. It's easy to become distracted with the path that we are on and forget that it is God who set us on that path in the first place. We should never come to the place where we stop depending on Him.

When you are looking for the right path, remember that God has a plan. He knows the path we should take. Commit your ways and your decisions to Him and He will never let you down!


No comments:

Post a Comment