The Light in My Window

The Light in My Window

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Spring Freshening

Here we are at the end of March and spring has definitely arrived! Around here the flowering trees are in full bloom, and the pinks, whites, and purples add so much beauty to the landscape! In addition, daffodils and tulips are blooming. The lawn has already been mowed once and is in need of it again. This is a great time of year to do some freshening in the way of cleaning and perhaps adding some small new decorating touches throughout your home. I've been busy doing just that, and in this post I am hoping to inspire you!

When it comes to spring cleaning, think in terms of those jobs that you don't get to very often and that need doing after a long winter of your home being closed up with the heat and perhaps a fireplace going. Below are a few suggestions to get you started:

Whole house:

  • wash window sills and windows
  • clean light fixtures and ceiling fans
  • replace light bulbs and smoke alarm batteries
  • shampoo carpets
  • clean baseboards
Kitchen:
  • clean  and re-organize the pantry and toss expired items
  • clean the oven and the freezer
  • clean cabinets inside and out
Bedrooms/Bathrooms
  • wash bedding and put away extra blankets
  • clean closets and donate unwanted items
  • clean out medicine cabinet and toss expired items
  • clean and re-organize linen closet
How about those jobs that need to be done outside? Sweep the deck or patio of all the debris. Paint the porch or trim, if needed. Clean the patio furniture. Clear the flower beds and pick up sticks and debris. Clean the garage.

Are you worn out yet? How about the fun part - adding some small spring touches in the decor of your home? For me, that means putting away my snowman collection (which is extensive - between New Years and March, I have the living room, foyer, and kitchen filled with snowmen!) I replaced the snowmen on my fireplace mantel with a vase of tulips and some pastel accents. I put away my winter dishes and got out my spring/summer ones. A couple things that I bought that weren't huge or expensive, but made a surprisingly big difference: a new spring/summer table runner for the dining room table ($10 at a home discount store) and some new throw pillows for my living room furniture. I found these in a pretty, lively blue and yellow spring print at TJ Maxx, and I love the difference they made!

While we are talking about cleaning and refreshening our homes, it reminds me of the need to do a spiritual housecleaning as well. Hopefully you are already spending time with God and in His Word every day. But let me throw out this idea to you: how about taking some time to get away alone, outside, for a special time of spiritual renewal? I realize that depending on your stage of life (if you have little ones at home) or your schedule (if you are working a job outside the home), this might be easier said than done. Maybe you can make it a goal for the near future. I guarantee it will refresh your spirit! Acts 3:19 tells us that "times of refreshing come from the presence of the Lord." If getting away for a couple hours is doable for you, choose a pretty day, grab your Bible along with a notebook and pen, and a bottle of water and maybe a snack, and take off. Spend the time reading, meditating on what you read, asking God what He wants to reveal to you, and then being willing to be obedient and act on what He speaks to you about. I like to read and pray through various Psalms, and an especially good one for spiritual housecleaning is Psalm 51, verses 10, 12: "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, and uphold me with thy free spirit."There's nothing like being outside enjoying God's beautiful creation and the presence of the Creator.

Happy Spring!
Kathi






No comments:

Post a Comment